If you are going out for house visits or overseas for a well-deserved vacation, here are some measures to keep your home safe from unwanted visitors:
1) Make sure that your main doors and windows are properly secured with strong grilles and good quality locks.
2) Do not leave large amounts of cash in your home. Keep all cash, jewelleries and valuable items in a bank or in a good quality safe that is anchored to the wall/floor to prevent the safe from being carted away.
3) Consider installing a burglar alarm system.
4) Entrust family members or neighbours to conduct regular visits to your home while you are away.
5) Make arrangements to suspend your newspaper subscriptions as uncollected newspapers are tell-tale signs that a house is not occupied and inform your Neighbourhood Police Centre of your absence.
There is something here that I may not follow. It is better not to inform ANYONE of your absence. Why issue “invitations” to unwanted visitors? In fact, better keep a light on at all times.